Today, on Sunday 16th September 2018, many people around the world will be celebrating World Ozone Day. The Ozone Layer is a fragile shield of gas, protecting the Earth from the harmful portion of the rays of the sun, thus helping preserve life on our planet (1).
It’s important for us to understand the impact of our actions in everyday life and how small changes can save our fragile planet to reduce further harm.
What can we do to help?
One simple way to limit the human impact on the Ozone Layer is by switching your whey protein to a plant-based protein, such as Plantforce® Synergy Protein.
What is whey protein and how does it harm our planet?
Whey protein is a byproduct of the manufacture of cheese, made up of the liquid that remains after milk has been curdled and strained. But, this dairy farming is harming our precious ozone layer;
- Studies have found that the rearing of livestock and their byproducts account for at least 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions (2).
- Whey protein is sourced from cow’s milk; cows produce 150 billion gallons of methane per day (4) and according to the IPCC, methane accounted for about 16% of global greenhouse gas emissions in 2015 (3).
- In addition to harmful methane, a farm with 2,500 dairy cows produces the same amount of waste as a city of 411,000 people (5).
With the agriculture industry projected to increase by 80% by 2050 (6), we need to act fast and act now by saying no to whey!
Making the switch to plant-based protein also provides multiple benefits to your everyday health, as well as the planet we all live on! Studies from the American Journal of Nutrition have shown that plant-based protein and meat build muscle in equal measure, noting that plant-based protein comes with less 'baggage' in the form of harmful components (7). Alongside this, plant-based protein is ideal for people with digestive problems. They contain fiber and digestive enzymes, which help ease digestion and absorption, leaving your stomach relaxed and satisfied. Common symptoms of whey protein ingestion can include bloating and digestive discomfort.
However, it is important to understand that taking just once source of plant-based protein does not complete your amino acid profile and therefore, some may argue that animal protein is better. To complete your essential amino acid profile and reap the same benefits as a meat-based protein, you need to consume a synergy of plant-based proteins, that’s where we come in.
Plantforce® Synergy Protein
The teams at Third Wave Nutrition have developed a range called Plantforce® Synergy Protein, providing a tailored blend of hemp protein, pea protein and brown rice protein.
- It has a perfectly balanced amino acid profile that has a high BCAA profile, so you can be reassured each day that you are getting a complete protein!
- Our 100% natural flavours include Chocolate, Berry, Natural and Vanilla – so morning, noon or night; we’ve got you covered! View our recipes here.
- Hypoallergenic so free from dairy, wheat, gluten, soy and no added sugar.
- All ingredients are third party lab tested with no GMO’s, chemicals or pesticides used.
Make the switch today! View our full range on our products section.
- Goodland, R Anhang, J. “Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change were pigs, chickens and cows?” Hickman, Martin. "Study claims meat creates half of all greenhouse gases". Independent. November 2009
- Ross, Philip. "Cow Farts Have 'Larger Greenhouse Gas Impact' Than Previously Thought; Methane Pushes Climate Change". International Business Times. November 2013
- "Risk Assessment Evaluation for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations". Environmental Protection Agency, 2004
- Tilman, David & Clark, Michael. "Global diets link environmental sustainability and human health". Nature. Vol. 515. November 2014